Tortilla Soup…Liz style
My dear friend Liz loves soup…I mean, the girl would have it for every meal if she could. So, it was only fitting when I was planning the Cinco de Mayo party that she would be my go to for the perfect tortilla soup recipe. Straight from Liz’s kitchen, enjoy!
- Olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapenos, finely diced
- 1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 3 large chicken breasts, halved (boneless & skinless)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth ***Note: if you would like a brothier soup, more stock can be added
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 limes, juiced (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- Tortilla Chips, cut into strips and toasted (or pick up at a local Mexican restaurant)
Instructions: Heat olive oil in a large pot (just enough to be able to cover the surface of the pot). Add garlic, onion, celery and carrots and cook over medium/high heat until onions start to brown. Add chicken, garlic and jalapenos and cook for another minute.
Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, cumin, lime juice, salt & pepper. Cover and bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and shred using two forks, then return to the pot. Add avocado and tortilla strips before serving.
For presentation, here are some garnish possibilities…
- Crumbled Queso Blanco, Monterey Jack or Gouda (All go well)
- Sprig of Cilantro
- Slice of lime